Dental X-Ray Education: What is a Bitewing?

A bitewing X-ray is the most common type of dental X-ray and is named for the wing-shaped, plastic placeholder (or tab) that the patient bites down on while the camera is positioned and pressed up against the cheek. These winged tabs contain the film inside them while the X-ray machine takes the picture. Your dentist will take two bitewing X-rays,... read more »